Flood Management

Freeport Flood Management News

This information is being offered to alert you that your premises may be located in, or adjacent to, a special flood hazard area (SFHA), as determined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). As a participant in the National Flood Insurance Program(NFIP), The Incorporated Village of Freeport has started an outreach program in an attempt to have the flood insurance rates reduced village-wide and in order to address the problems in this zone. View the Freeport Flood Brochure. The Freeport Building Department has Certified Floodplain Managers on staff to answer any questions regarding Flood Hazard Information and Mitigation Activities. If you can't make it to our office, a representative will schedule a site visit to help answer your questions.



Drainage System Maintenance

The drainage system is maintained by DPW. It is important that you report any kind of dumping or other conditions which are interfering with the proper functioning of this system. Violators will be subjected to fines up to $1,000 / Offense in Village Court. Report all incidents to DPW and the Building Department if your property is located near a storm drain. Make sure that it is not clogged with leaves and other debris. The streets cannot drain properly if these drains are clogged.

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program and Flood Mitigation Program

These Federal programs are designed to provide assistance to state and local governments in implementing long-term hazard and flood mitigation measures. The Village has been very successful in the past securing financial assistance for various projects. We will continue to seek funding to assist property owners with flood mitigation projects. If you are interested in being considered for a building elevation project, please send a letter of interest to the Freeport Building Department.

Property Protection Methods

  • The Building Department maintains Elevation Certificates. If you require an Elevation Certificate, please contact the Building Department to see if we have one on file.
  • Most houses can be elevated so that the lowest floor is above the flood protection level. The Building Department can show you examples of homes (large and small) that have been elevated.
  • Install floodwalls that have been properly designed to resist water pressure and are of sufficient height. This application works best where floodwaters do not exceed three feet.
  • Dry flood proofing which means sealing a building to keep floodwaters out. Walls are coated, openings such as windows, doors, etc. are closed permanently or they are temporarily sealed with removable shield or sandbags.
  • Wet flood proofing means modifying a building so that floodwaters will cause only minimum damage to the building and contents. Building materials below base flood level are removed and are replaced to allow floodwaters into the building to counter the pressure on the outside walls.
  • Make sure that the professional you hire to do your retrofitting project has demonstrated an expertise in this type of work. Building permits must be obtained prior to this all work. Be further advised that the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requires that if the cost of reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or other improvements to a building equals or exceeds 50% of the building's market value, then the building must meet the same construction requirements of a new building. Substantially damaged buildings must also be brought up to the same standards (e.g. a residence damaged so that the cost of repairs equals or exceeds 50% of the building's value before it was damaged must be elevated above the base flood elevation)

Special Tips for those Living in the Special Flood Hazard Area

  • This outreach project is part of the program that has granted Freeport a discount on your flood insurance. Freeport's discount has been increased to 15%.
  • If you do not have flood insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Your regular homeowners insurance policy does not cover damage from floods. However, because Freeport participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy. This insurance is backed by the Federal government and is available to everyone. If you have a mortgage, you must have this insurance.
  • For map information contact the Building Department
  • If you need to determine what is your Base Flood Elevation (BFE), the FEMA Map number, or what Flood Zone your property is located in, please select the following link  https://www.fema.gov/locations and enter your address into the search field. You can also contact the Building Department as we will be able to provide you with the requested information.
  • Flood Protection Assistance. The Building Department is available during normal business hours to discuss and assist you with permit requirements, map determinations, lowest level requirements, site visits, and plan review in order to assist you in decreasing the flood damage to your property. Members of the building department have taken specialized training on retrofitting existing homes at the Federal Emergency Institute. Flyers on retrofitting and how to reduce wind and flood damage are now available at the Building Department.
  • The Freeport Memorial Library has available reference materials such as books on retrofitting, how to read a flood map, flood insurance rate map, and other FEMA publications at the reference desk.

Storm Tips

  • Tune to radio stations WGBB, WHLI, Cablevision 12 (Long Island News), or NOAA Weather Radio (162.55 or 162.473) for warnings and further local information.
  • Establish a personal emergency plan. Familiarize your family with the plan, including your children.
  • Prepare an emergency supply kit with an adequate supply of water, can opener, battery operated radio, flashlights, and a fresh supply of batteries.
  • Prepare a first-aid kit which includes a 1-2 week supply of your prescription medications.
  • Prepare your property if you have to evacuate.
  • Evaluate what important papers you should take with you.
  • Businesses must also establish a plan and fully train their employees. Evaluate your plan yearly and update accordingly.
  • Do not attempt to return to your home or business unless the Village emergency office has lifted the evacuation order.
  • Since drowning is the number one cause of death during a flood, you should be very careful walking through flooded areas. Do not drive through flooded areas. More people drown in their cars than anywhere else.
  • Stay away from power lines and electrical wires. Report any downed wires to the power authority, the Freeport Emergency Management office, or emergency personnel.
  • The 2009 Flood Zone Map shows the section of Freeport that has been designated as a special flood hazard area by FEMA. Most who live in this area are aware of the threat of flooding since flooding occurs during some moon tides. If you live in the flood zone, but have never flooded, do not feel these warnings are not for you. Computer predications have shown that the storm surge during a major storm could bring the floodwater above Sunrise Highway. We can save lives and properties by being prepared. Even if your property does not flood, you still might have to evacuate if public services cannot be provided such as water, electric, gas, etc.

If you need flood insurance information, please contact the Building Department.

Useful Flood Management Links



Guide to Home Flood Prevention

Flood Insurance Guide