Water Rates & Fees
New water rates went into effect the September of 2012. You will be billed every three months. Bills must be paid within 30 days to avoid a late penalty fee of 15%. All water bills may also be paid at the cashiers at Village Hall. Any water bill not paid by December 31 will then be transferred over to your village property tax with an additional 25% penalty.
Buying or Selling a Home
When buying or selling your home, you must notify the Water Billing Department at 516-377-2265, since the bill becomes the responsibility of the new homeowner. Village ordinance states that the water account stays with the property and does not go from owner to owner. There is a $70 service initiation fee for all new homeowners when they take title to the property, except for residents already living in Freeport.
Current Water Rates
Our water rate structure is designed to promote conservation. The more you use, the higher rate you pay. Rates for out of village accounts are 20% higher than village accounts.
- Minimum quarterly charge: $39
- Zero to 50,000 gallons: $2.08 per thousand gallons
- 50,001 to 100,000 gallons: $4.27 per thousand gallons
- 100,001 and up: $5.50 per thousand gallons
Additional Water Fees
- Service Initiation Charge: $70
- Meter reading (special request): $30
- This fee will be charged when a final reading is requested by a person moving out of their home. Readings for complaints or check of regular readings will not be billed for this charge
- Connection to water main with no service (failure to disconnect): $50 per quarter
- This fee is for water services that are still connected to the main but not used for water service
- Service call to turn water on / off: $100
- This fee is for all after hour calls where our personnel respond to an emergency call to turn water off or on. This fee will not apply to calls during regular working hours. If we return to turn water back on after hours a second charge will be applied
- Tapping charges for connections 1 inch or smaller: $1500 per tap
- This fee will apply to all new service connections made by our personnel or a plumber
- Inspection fee for All Size Taps: $150 per tap
- This fee is in addition to the above fee. This covers the inspection by our personnel of a new water service installation.
- Tapping charges for connections over 1 inch: $3,000 per connection
- This fee will apply to all new service connections made by a plumber
- Inspection fee for connections All Size Taps: $150 per connection
- This fee is in addition to the above fee. This covers the inspection by our personnel of a new water service connection
- Temporary water, one family building: $175 per quarter
- This fee will apply when temporary water is supplied without a meter
- Hydrant use permit: $300 per week
- This fee will apply for any use of a hydrant other than fire protection
- Check returned due to insufficient funds: $20
- This fee applies to all checks that are returned by the bank