- Home Page
- Public Works
The Department of Public Works strives to provide a comprehensive display of public works services, meeting the current needs, expectations and challenges of all residents and other users. These services, considered quality-of-life services, include maintenance and custodial services on public property within the Village, infrastructure, and supplying of water, sewer and storm water utilities.
Additionally, we provide beautification efforts and storm response.
Public Works is a generic label for services provided to people relating primarily to maintenance and protection of public properties and utilities. The Village of Freeport Department of Public Works includes the following divisions:
- Central Garage
- Grounds keeping
- Street and Parking Field Maintenance
- Traffic control
The responsibilities of the department range from providing drinking water to the residents to street sweeping, drainage ditch maintenance, leaf collection, traffic signal, building maintenance and snow removal.
The Public Works Department will provide superior service to the community that is responsive and cost effective. This service shall be provided by dedicated, trained and responsible employees who are committed to excellence.
- Our credibility within the community
- Personal and organizational integrity
- Fiscal accountability
- Providing a better quality of life for all residents
- Leadership role in emergency response and recovery activities
- Our hard-working and dedicated employees, who consistently possess the highest ethical and moral standards
- Our flexibility and commitment to public service.
- Teamwork and being team players
- The Sanitation Department targets ways to develop waste reduction and recycling programs, reducing the cost of refuse collection
- The Public Works Department seeks to provide the necessary infrastructure improvements for economic development of vacant parcels and redevelopment of existing land use to the village-wide theme of the administration
- The Engineering Department aims to provide the engineering required to eliminate street flooding in a cost effective and permanent way
- The Sewer and Highway Departments intent is to protect the environment through the effective management, operation and maintenance of the sanitary and storm-water system
- The Public Works Department strives to be innovative and responsive to citizen, inter-departmental and outside agencies' requests
- The Public Works Department diligently works to utilize the latest technology available in developing fiscally responsible programs
- The Grants / Waterfront Division end goal is to safeguard and enrich our waterways and properties adjacent